What to expect during & after an IPL treatment
IPL is a cosmetic treatment used by both men and women to achieve hair removal or a reduction in redness or pigmentation of the skin. During the non-invasive procedure, intense pulsed light is absorbed into the melanin (pigment found in skin and hair) and hemoglobin (blood in broken veins) of the skin to treat sun damage and unwanted hair.. We’ve noticed a lot of misinformation and uncertainty about what is and isn’t normal when it comes to IPL, and wanted to clear up a few things about what to expect during a course of IPL treatment.
- Protection – Our eyes are very sensitive to light so for this reason it is important to protect our eyes when undergoing IPL.
- Listening – Your therapist should talk you through what will happen and listen to any concerns you have, answering questions and making you feel comfortable. You should always be treated as an individual not just a dollar figure.
- It should be somewhat uncomfortable – People that say there is no pain or discomfort involved are lying or haven’t used a professional for their IPL. The sensation felt during IPL is that of heat and has been likened to a rubber band being snapped on the skin’s surface. What isn’t normal is if unbearable pain goes on for an extended period of time and you should contact us for further direction if this is something you experience.
- Sunburn & redness – After an area has been treated with IPL it will look and feel sunburnt. This sensation may persist for 2-5 hours post-treatment.
- Sensitive – Your skin will be temperature sensitive for a couple of days after your IPL session so it is strongly recommended to avoid extra hot water for this time.
- Skin care – Following the skin care routine as advised by your IPL therapist during your consultation is vital! The key factors of skin care post-IPL is that you must protect your skin from the sun, avoid exfoliating for 1 week and to avoid products that haven’t been recommended as some may have chemicals which will react badly with more sensitive skin.
- Don’t pick – If any blisters or crusting occurs in the treated area it is crucial you don’t pick at these as this can lead to scarring.
If you are considering IPL for hair removal or skin treatment, contact the friendly team at Academy Face and Body to book a complimentary consultation by calling 9382 4800 or booking an appointment online here.